Wednesday, February 20, 2013

The gift of the Supervisor

When I worked for state government, I had at least 5 different supervisors. Each of them offered me very different lessons, but each of them were a gift.

I have not heard from any of them in several months, but like me, nine if them work for state government any longer. 4 of the 5 retired and one went into federal government work.

Instead of breaking down what each of my supervisors taught me individually, because I am not sure that I can...I am just going to lump all their lessons together.


My supervisors gave me the gift of an apprentice like education. While I learned a lot in college and graduate school, nothing taught me what it was like to function in the real world. I could do math and understand physics, I could read and write, but no one had taught me about regulations or judgement calls. No one really explained that I was going to have to wing it a good deal of the time. No one explained that there would be decisions to make about what was and was not acceptable. Each of my supervisors gave me good solid guidance and explanations for the judgement calls that they made and the ones that I would eventually have to make. They made sure that I understood what each option of my judgement called would mean.

My supervisors gave me the gift of understanding. Not understanding rules and regulations, but emotionally. When I started my job, at the state, I needed to figure out how to get time off around the holidays to visit J's family and mine. My first supervisor worked with me to get in an extra half-hour here or an hour there so that by Christmas I had enough hours to have time off.

My supervisors taught me the value of diplomacy. State government offers many "sticky" situations to work around. You might be surprised at the shear number of pitfalls one could encounter. But my supervisors each taught me the value of wading through the messy outcomes of the pitfalls with grace, humor and patience. It is not easy to walk a mine field. Yet it often necessary.

My supervisors taught me the value of words. Sometimes, just a slight rewording of a question or deficiency could make every thing clear. One doesn't need to literally speak volumes when one can be clear with a few words.

My supervisors gave me the gift of support. For example, during my pregnancy with B, I had to put my feet up and lay down for 20 minutes every few hours. My supervisor at the time, not only found me a couch to bring in my office to lie on, he would remind me if I forgot or lost track of time.

For all of these gifts I am grateful.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: