As a kid/teen I watched "The Golden Girls" and would wish that in my old age I would have friends like Rose and Blanche and Sophia and Dorothy. I would imagine a life where my friends and I would be on the patio of our retirement home on a beach, drinking a margarita and playing cards. It was a long time before I remembered that the lives of the Golden Girls hadn't been a result of Forever Friendships, they had developed this kinship in a very short period of time (this actually has brought up a completely different post idea...hope I remember it). Anyway, I had always imagined various friends in those roles, and one of them has stayed very consistent.
I have one of those Forever Friends. I am very bad about remembering her as my friend when I get depressed because she isn't near by and I don't see her often. I tend to write her off. Not purposefully, but because in insecurity and depression I do really stupid things and often things designed to hurt me as much as humanly possible.
My Forever Friend though, is someone I know is there even in the darkest and most desperate moments. Even though she isn't close enough to be here at a moments notice, I know that she would drop everything and be on the next plane out if I needed her to be. I would be on the first flight I could get if she needed me.
From her I have gotten so many gifts.
My Forever Friend has given me the gift of history. This history is not only relevant in that I don't have to spend a lot of time explaining my past, but it also is evidence that she is still here after all this time. History says she will be around in the future.
My Forever Friend has given me the gift of realizing that a true friendship is not based around how often you talk to someone or how often you see them. A true friendship is one that can pick up right where everything left off. A true friendship trusts that all the important information will come out with time and there is no need to put pressure on it.
My Forever Friend has given me the gift of honesty. No matter how desperate things feel, or how dark the world seems, there is always a place where I can be completely honest about everything. She might not always agree with me, but she will listen and will take my honesty and help me see from where it comes.
My Forever Friend gives me the gift of freedom to bring back the little girl that still lives inside me. Memories of invented games, childhood secret handshakes, nights spent talking, the days of the hours we spent walking each other home (once we made it to 13 times in one evening). So many memories that bring up the squealing little girl to fun and joy and laughter that often gets hidden beneath the muck and grind of daily (adult) life.
My Forever Friend has given me the gift of realization that love really doesn't die solely from lack of effort. What I mean by this is that just a little care shows that the embers are still burning and the friendship is still solid and true.
Thank you my Forever Friend, I am sure that I have left out many gifts that you have given me, but the sun is shining and at least for today it is actually a reflection of the temperature that is outside and I want to be in it. You will have to forgive me the distraction.
XOXOXO
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment