I am a video game junkie. Though I have to admit that I am kind of
picky about the video games I allow myself to form an addiction to, they
have to be in the genre of the hero's quest. I could care less about
blowing up people, or stealing cars, but hand me a game that involves
logical thinking and cute little characters out to save the princess and
I am all over it. My favorite is the Legend of Zelda series. I LOVE
those games.
Not only do those games involve strategy, they have a plot and subplots that offer a lot of interesting insight.
First,
Link is always sent out on the quest, and it is always clear that Link
is shocked by his selection. He has no idea that he was called to
something great, and is often ridiculed by other (more jealous)
townspeople before and during his quest. He doesn't expect it, and
often looks like he doesn't want it, but off he goes to save the
princess, because he has no choice.
This is not unlike
the calling I have experienced. Unlike Link, I ran from my calling for
as long as I possibly could, but in the end, I have no choice but to
follow. Like link, I feel like a lot of people are unclear on why I was
selected for the call I received. I often wonder why I was selected
for the call I received.
Second, while there is a main
quest that involves rescuing the princess from certain danger, there are
lots and lots of subquests that need to be accounted for as well. You
can't just leave the little girl lost with the demon, or the injured
chick alone in the woods. You have to bring them help, you have to
bring them home. It takes time, and energy and often many extra hours
are added to the game play while you complete these mini quests, but
Link is always rewarded, and miraculously he still makes it where he
needs to be on time.
I know in the pursuit of my call, I
am often impatient when I have to stop and deal with something else. I
am often looking for the quickest way to get to the next step. But
like Link, each of those "mini quests" provides me with a new piece of
information, and often times something that is useful to me later on.
Third,
each segment of the quest, physically gives Link something that
manifests one of his attributes. He is shown his courage, his strength,
his heart, etc. By the end of the quest when he has to fight the
baddest of the bad guys, his confidence has been built, and he knows
that he is capable of performing the tasks he was called to perform.
I
don't often get a physical manifestation of the attributes I need to
complete my calling, but I am often made aware of my skills and gifts
after particularly trying events/challenges. I am often faced with my
inner strength, courage, wisdom, awareness, heart, etc. when I come
through the other side of some challenge I have to endure.
Fourth,
often while playing Link, I fail. I fall off the cliff or I lose to
the bad guy. And I am forced to have to try again. I don't just lose
(I suppose I could give up), I am not even sent back to the beginning to
start over. I pick up where I left off, perhaps a little depleted on
supplies, but ready to try again.
Isn't this life?
After a failure, I might fear being sent all the way back to square one,
but more often than not, I am just a little worse for wear, I have
learned what mistakes I shouldn't make, and perhaps with a detour to
pick up some more supplies, I am ready to try again.
Who says that video games can't teach you anything. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment