I am listening to a presentation given by a man named Ram
Dass. In this presentation, he makes
several statements I find very interesting.
The first that caught my attention is that a lot of people say things
like I will be able to follow my dreams when…and this is followed by a
statement which often involves the need for more money. Interestingly, his statement goes on to
insinuate that as people make more money, they apparently need even more money
to follow their dreams. This is followed
by a statistic, which is that when you ask people if they have followed their
dreams, 15% of people who make $15,000/year or less say that they have (they
have written the books they say they are going to write, they work in ways that
help people as legal aid or low cost therapy, they create art and/or write
music), around 5% of people making more than $100,000/year have done anything
to follow their dreams. They say that
they need just a little more money.
Where are you? Are you
in the “follow your dreams” category or the “I will follow my dreams when I
have more money” category?
As I was listening to Ram Dass talk about this, I kept
coming to back to all the things I have been telling myself since doing a
meditation that led me to my calling as a holistic healer last July. I keep returning to, “If I had the money, I
could…” Instead of agreeing to follow through on my dream, instead of trusting
that my needs and the needs of my family will be cared for, I find reasons to
put off the dreams of my heart.
Has hearing Ram Dass changed my opinion? Will I now run of and make a new start giving
up the financial security I have with my job so that I can follow through on
the call placed on my heart? Nope. I will likely still tell myself that I can
follow my dream when I have money. Or I
could turn it around and try to figure out how to make my dream a reality based
on what I do feel like I can feasibly do.
But even though I see the truth in what Ram Dass is saying, I will
likely not turn around and just give in to following through on my dreams. I suppose though, that I have started on that
path with the interfaith seminary.
The next thing Ram Dass mentions that caught my attention,
is that we as a culture have become caught in the mind. I get the impression that this talk is from
the mid 90’s based on the cultural references and the time of his stroke. But he talks as though this cultural place we
are in is a passing phase. I think
perhaps at that time, the pendulum was swinging toward more balance. However, the pendulum quickly moved in the
other direction and we are again hanging on the edge.
This has brought up a lot of stuff for me too. I can sense that we are precariously
balanced, jumping from one extreme to the other in order to shift the plate,
rather than moving toward a common middle we can all live with, if not agree on. However, Ram Dass’ statement that this is
because right now we are so busy existing in the mind rather than finding the
balance with our intuition really struck me as true.
I constantly find myself thinking when I need to be
intuiting. I find my heart giving me
warnings, or good advice, and ignoring them for the more obvious intellectual
brain talk. It goes back to the
happiness thing. The issue of money is a
mind game. It is your brain that worries
about money, but the truth is that the more money you make, the more stuff you
have that you don’t really need. You
have a bunch of junk filling up a house that isn’t really useful or what you
need. A lot of it is what you want so
that you feel like you are keeping up with everyone else around you. Or at least that is how it feels for me. Maybe no one else thinks that. I should change all that to be only about me,
but I will let it ride for now.
I do think it is true, that the original founders of the
constitution did not anticipate the vast separation between mind and heart that
has occurred in this country. We are as
a country determined to be #1 if it kills us.
And it will kill us. It might
take time, but we are a dying country. I
think we have a choice. We can open
ourselves to return to the mind-heart balance, or we can continue to shift the plate
until we fall off. I don’t know about
everyone else, but I will start by working on me. I will integrate my mind and heart and I will
do my best to live that way. Perhaps as
others see the balance being reached in my life, they too will start to want to
reach that balance in theirs.
No comments:
Post a Comment