On Tuesdays and Thursdays I have an 8 AM class. This means a very tight schedule from the moment I get up to the time I get to class. There is no room for error.
Today is the first "cold" day this week. It is snowing a little. And about halfway to campus my bike feels like it is pulling a lot of weight. It is very windy, I have been blown around a bit, but that doesn't fully explain it. So at the next stop light I take a good look at my tires. My back tire is flat...again. This is the fourth time in a month that my tire has gone flat.
This is not a good morning for it. I don't have extra time built into my schedule to have to walk 2 miles to class, or to change a tire. Not only is today not a good day to get a flat on the way too class, I don't have a lot of time between classes and tutoring to change tires and look for holes in inner tubes. In fact, I really should stop writing this post and go fix my bike tire. Yet again.
But I will take a moment to speak to what I learned with this flat tire.
I can't change that it happened. I have a flat and no amount of cursing, screaming, crying or feeling sorry for myself is going to change that I have somehow managed to become the Lexington Road Glass clean up crew. I will get to class when I get to class, I will fix my tire, I will go on. I get to make a choice. I can allow this flat tire to control my day. I can carry it with me as some horrible twist of fate and allow my day to be dominated by frustration, or I can do what needs to be done and continue on with my day.
I love my stream restoration class. Why let a flat tire make me miserable in a class that I am excited about attending?
I can't change the fact that I have a flat tire, but I don't have to let the frustration of the flat tire ruin one of my busiest, yet favorite days of school.
Now to change yet another flat.
P.S. I know that glass is fun and pretty, but come on liquor manufacturers...let's go with the plastic bottles...they don't give cyclists as many flat tires.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment