"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is
translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you
in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will
never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world
will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is
nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your
business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel
open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have
to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep
the channel open." ~Martha Graham
What does Special mean?
I'll be honest, when I think about my desire to be special, it is a desire to be viewed by others as special. While I know that the definition of special does not mean better, being special often makes me think I should be viewed as doing something better than others.
For awhile, when ever someone told me I was special, my initial response was to deny it. I didn't feel like I was better than anyone else. I wasn't making a difference, I wasn't creating something of value, people didn't hunt me out for my talents...I wasn't "special." I wonder how many people feel that way.
Dictionary.com has a definition of special that is only identified as distinctive; unique. In this way, everyone is special. Everyone has a unique set of skills and talents, everyone has a unique perspective, and as Martha Graham says above, no one will ever be able to be YOU again. You are the only you that will ever exist. I am the only me that will ever exist. That makes me special. That makes you special.
Special isn't the same as being driven. It isn't the same as wanting to be "better" than the competition. Special is about being true to your unique you. Some of us are built to be leaders, some followers. Some of us are built driven to be the best, while others of us are built to follow behind doing hard labor. Some of us are built to excel in school, while others of us are built to learn through life experience. Some of us are built to be rich, some poor.
I believe we are all special, and we all have a special place in this world. We are all distinctive, we are all unique. We all have our own calling.
Some of us will "do" more than others. Some of us will create amazingly beautiful works of art. Some of us will discover the causes and cures of disease. Some of us will be amazing parents and partners. Some of us will develop new technology. Some of us, will do great things.
Some of us will work on the factory lines that build the technology. Some of us will clean the labs where cures are found. Some of us will pick up trash off the street. Some of us will live lives that feel over looked.
But the truth is that without all those jobs that society views as "lesser," the great stuff couldn't be accomplished. Without the people that were specially built for service, the brilliant ideas couldn't succeed.
I believe it is time to recognize those that do the hard work that allow the brilliance to shine. No matter what role you play in society, YOU are special.
No comments:
Post a Comment