Earlier this week, I got a letter from the University of Kentucky, offering me full tuition and a small stipend if I would come on as a full time graduate student.
J and I looked at the budget, played with the numbers and realized that we could do it. We could let me go to graduate school, pay all of our bills and not touch our savings. It would mean a tight budget, carefully watching the money. But it could be done.
I have said before that I was ready to clear out my life. I was ready to go from complicated to simple. I was ready to move from material to true happiness.
And now here I am freaking out because I accepted the offer from UK and I officially told the company I am working for that I will not be working for them full-time any longer.
We are going to work out a way for me to work for them as needed on a contract basis, but on August 15, I become a full time graduate student.
I meant it when I told God that I would give up what needed to be given up to follow a path toward inner peace and happiness. I told God that I would watch for the signs. I told God that I would willingly walk into the lion's den.
And now that I am actually faced with the prospect of living on much less, I find that I am ready and willing, but scared that I will fail when I can't afford to fail. But I will do it, and if I need to find a part time job I will do that too.
On another note, a couple of hours after I formalized the acceptance of the offer made by the University of Kentucky one of our clients shut down several operations and laid of a large number of employees. Fortunately none of them are operations our company does work for, but it's a little too close for comfort. I think that the timing of this little adventure is just about right on time.
Today, I head out for vacation, followed by my retreat and my graduation/ordination as an interfaith minister. I both terrified and excited about what the world has to offer in that arena as well.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment